Horror Movies & Sci-Fi Movies Database
David Keith & Drew Barrymore star in this thriller about a child (Barrymore) who has the amazing ability to create fires just by staring at anyone or anything, her father who also has the ability make people do what he wants. A secret government agency known as "The Shop" led by Martin Sheen & George C. Scott plot to kidnap the duo for testing their abilities. Can this power and the love of her father stop this sinister agency before all hell breaks loose.
She has the power . . . an evil destructive force.
Release Date: May 11, 1984
Runtime: 114 mins
All Genres: Horror, Sci-Fi, Thriller
IMDB Rating: 5.7
Buried.com Rating: 6.7 - (Rate This Horror Movie at Buried.com)
Category: Horror Movies Starting With F
MPAA Rating: R
Mark L. Lester
David Keith ...Andrew 'Andy' McGee
Drew Barrymore ...Charlene 'Charlie' McGee
Freddie Jones ...Doctor Joseph Wanless
Heather Locklear ...Victoria 'Vicky' Tomlinson McGee
Martin Sheen ...Captain Hollister
George C. Scott ...John Rainbird
Art Carney ...Irv Manders
Louise Fletcher ...Norma Manders
Moses Gunn ...Doctor Pynchot
Antonio Fargas ...Taxi Driver
Drew Snyder ...Orville Jamieson
Curtis Credel ...Bates
Keith Colbert ...Mayo
Dick Warlock ...Knowles (as Richard Warlock)
Jeff Ramsey ...Steinowitz
Jack Magner ...young Serviceman
Lisa Anne Barnes ...Serviceman's Girlfriend
Larry Sprinkle ...Security Guard
Cassandra Ward Freeman ...Woman in Stall
Scott R. Davis ...Bearded Student
Nina Jones ...Grad Assistant
William Alspaugh ...Proprietor
Laurens Moore ...Old Man
Anne Fitzgibbon ...Old Lady
Steve Boles ...Mailman
Stanley Mann ...Motel Owner
Robert Miano ...Blinded Agent
Leon Rippy ...Blinded Agent
Carole Francisco ...Joan Dugan
Wendy Womble ...Josie
» [more cast members]
Frank Capra Jr.
Martha De Laurentiis
More Movie Taglines:
- She has the power . . . an evil destructive force.
- If you get on her bad side...YOU'RE TOAST.
- Will she have the power... to survive?
- Charlie McGee is a happy, healthy eight-year-old little girl. Normal in every way but one. She has the power to set objects afire with just one glance. It's a power she does not want. It's a power she can't control. And, each night, Charlie prays to be just like every other child. But there are those who will do everything in their power to find her... or destroy her.
- Charlie McGee: Where's my father? Captain Hollister: He's fine. He's happy, and he sends his love, and he wants you to cooperate with us. Charlie McGee: You're a liar! Captain Hollister: Now, what kinda talk is that from a nice little girl like you? Charlie McGee: GO TO HELL!
Charlie McGee: [to her power] Back off! Just back off!
Doctor Joseph Wanless: Ever since this child was born, her father has been trying to inhibit her use of those powers. But what if his control had weakened now? Captain Hollister: Why would he lose control, now, after all those years? Doctor Joseph Wanless: Ask yourself this question. How exhausting must it have been for Victoria and Andrew McGee when this child was an infant? The bottle is late, the baby cries, and at that moment, one of her toys right there in the crib beside her bursts into smokey flame. Captain Hollister: Joe, she's just a little girl. She can light fires, yes. But you're making her sound like Armageddon! Doctor Joseph Wanless: Yes!... and that's what it might well be. Suppose lighting fires is just the tip of the iceberg? Captain Hollister: I don't know what your talking about. Doctor Joseph Wanless: I am talking about a talent that is directly linked to this child's pituitary gland; UNDEVELOPED pituitary gland. What happens when she becomes adolescent and that sleeping gland wakes and becomes, for 20 months, the most powerful force in the human body? Suppose we have a child here who, someday, is capable of creating a nuclear explosion simply by the power of her will? Captain Hollister: [Laughs] That's insane. Doctor Joseph Wanless: Is it? Is it? Then allow me to progress from insanity to utter lunacy. Suppose there is a little girl out there, somwhere today... this morning!... who has within her, lying dormant at present... the power someday to crack the very planet in two like a china plate in a shooting gallery? Captain Hollister: [Falls silent]
Charlie McGee: [to the agent after he escorts her to the stables] Get out of here, you bastard! I'll burn you up! I'll fry you!
Captain Hollister: What's to stop me from having you erased right here and now? John Rainbird: My word - that I've already made certain provisions that should I "disappear", The Shop will cease to exist within six weeks. And within six months, you will stand in front of a judge awaiting sentence for crimes serious enough to keep you behind bars for the rest of your life.
- This film was originally going to be directed by John Carpenter. According to Carpenter, Universal executives removed him from the project in the wake of the box office and critical drubbing they received for The Thing (1982). Carpenter had reportedly talked to his Assault on Precinct 13 (1976) actor, Darwin Joston about taking on the role of John Rainbird, which was ultimately played by George C. Scott.
Martin Sheen took over at a late stage from Burt Lancaster who had to withdraw following heart surgery.
The book "Creepshows" by Stephen Jones says that David Keith was 14th choice.
Jennifer Connelly and Taylor Neff were considered for the role of Charlene 'Charlie' McGee.
According to director Mark L. Lester, Tangerine Dream never actually saw the film. They sent him some music and told him to choose whatever he liked.
» User Comments at imdb.com
» More information at imdb.com
Experiment, Fire, Government, Psychic, Doctor ...[more]
Rating: 6.7 out of 10.0 - 53 votes cast total