Godzilla, King Of The Monsters! (1956)
Horror Movies & Sci-Fi Movies Database
American reporter Steve Martin, on his way to Cairo for an assignment, has a stop over in Tokyo. During the layover, he decides to visit his old friend Dr. Daisuke Serizawa. However, the night before he lands, his plane passes over an area where a ship suddenly exploded and caught fire killing all hands. Martin is then questioned by the authorities and he tells them he saw nothing. After seven more ships suddenly disappear, Martin decides to stay in Japan to see what is going on. He and policeman Tomo Iwanaga then go to Odo Island, which is close to where many of the ships were destroyed. While there, they are caught in a typhoon and during the storm something comes ashore and kills several of the inhabitants and destroys several buildings. A few days later a scientific expedition led by paleontologist Dr. Kyohei yemane arrives on the island and they are horrified to find a giant monster the natives call Godzilla. Now Japan and the world wait to see what horrors this monster will bring.
Makes KING KONG look like a Midget!
Also Known As:
Godzilla the Sea Beast
Title: Godzilla, King Of The Monsters!
Release Date: April 27, 1956
Runtime: 80 mins
All Genres: Horror, Sci-Fi, Action
Languages: English, Japanese
Country: USA, Japan
Colors: Black and White
IMDB Rating: 6.7
Buried.com Rating: 7.7 - (Rate This Horror Movie at Buried.com)
Category: Horror Movies Starting With G
Terry O. Morse
Raymond Burr ...Steve Martin
Takashi Shimura ...Dr. Kyohei yamane
Akira Takarada ...Hideto Ogata
Momoko Kochi ...Emiko yamane
Akihiko Hirata ...Dr. Daisuke Serizawa
Frank Iwanaga ...Security Officer Tomo Iwanaga
Toyoaki Suzuki ...The Boy from Oto Island
Toranosuke Ogawa ...President of Nankai Shipping Company
Takeo Oikawa ...Chief of Emergency Headquarters
Kokuten Kodo ...Old Man on Hill on Oto Island
Fuyuki Murakami ...Scientist with Geiger Counter
Mikel Conrad ...George Lawrence
Ren yamamoto ...The Boy's Older Brother [Bit]
Sachio Sakai ...Interviewing Official on Oto Island [Bit]
Miki Hayashi ... (unconfirmed)
Kin Sugai ... (unconfirmed)
Sammee Tong ...Dr. yamane (voice)
James Hong ...Ogata / Serizawa (voice)
Ren Imaizumi ...Radio Operator
Tsuruko Mano ...The Boy's Mother [Bit]
Haruo Nakajima ...Godzilla
Tadashi Okabe ...Reporter Killed on Tower
Kenji Sahara ...Man on Boat
Ryosaku Takasugi ...Godzilla
Katsumi Tezuka ...Godzilla
Edward B. Barison
Joseph E. Levine
Al C. Ward
Godzilla, King Of The Monsters! Horror Film Trailer 1
Godzilla, King Of The Monsters! Horror Film Trailer 2
More Movie Taglines:
- Makes KING KONG look like a Midget!
- SEE! A monstrous sea-beast...surging up from the ocean! ..... a city of six-million wiped out by its death ray blast ! ... Giant ships swamped! Jet planes swept from the skies ! Trains ripped from the rails ! MORE ! MORE ! MORE ! SEE EVERY SCREEN-SHATTERING THRILL!
- INCREDIBLE, UNSTOPPABLE TITAN OF TERROR!
- [Opening voice over] Steve Martin: This is Tokyo. Once a city of six million people. What has happened here was caused by a force which up until a few days ago was entirely beyond the scope of Man's imagination. Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world. There were once many people here who could've told of what they saw... now there are only a few. My name is Steve Martin. I am a foreign correspondent for United World News. I was headed for an assignment in Cairo, when I stopped off in Tokyo for a social; but it turned out to be a visit to the living HELL of another world.
Steve Martin: [asking Officer Iwanaga] Steve Martin: What is the name of this monster? Old Man on Hill on Oto Island: Godzilla... Security Officer Tomo Iwanaga: You hear that? Godzilla. Steve Martin: So, they believe that this Godzilla is responsible for all the ship disasters? Security Officer Tomo Iwanaga: They're certain of it!
Security Officer Tomo Iwanaga: You hear that? Godzilla.
Steve Martin: So, they believe that this Godzilla is responsible for all the ship disasters? Security Officer Tomo Iwanaga: They're certain of it!
Dr. Kyohei Yamane: They are so wrong. Godzilla should not be destroyed, he should be studied.
- All the scenes with Raymond Burr were added after the Japanese version of the film was finished.
Godzilla's roar was made by dragging a resin-coated leather glove up and down a contrabass and having the subsequent recording slowed down significantly.
T˘h˘ released this American version of its own Gojira (1954) to Japanese audiences in 1957. The studio ballyhooed it as being a CinemaScope production, when in fact what Toho did was chop off the top and the bottom of the frame. These mutilated shots later made it into the studio's Daikaijű Baran (1958).
The Japanese version of the film received a Japanese Academy Award nomination for Best Picture but lost to Shichinin no samurai (1954). It did, however, win the award for Best Special Effects. It is the only Godzilla movie to receive a nomination for Best Picture.
Several months before this film received its editing job, the original Japanese version was shown on a limited release in the United States.
» User Comments at imdb.com
» More information at imdb.com
Godzilla, Japan, Reporter, Monster, Creature ...[more]
Rating: 7.7 out of 10.0 - 56 votes cast total