Horror Movies & Sci-Fi Movies Database
While traveling through the desert nearby the small town of Santa ynez on their bicycles to camp, two teenage bicyclers are murdered by a mysterious black car. Then the car hit-and-run a hitchhiker and the crime is witnessed by the local Amos Clements. Sheriff Everett puts his men in alert and plans road blocks in the area to arrest the murderer. Sooner he becomes a victim of the car and Sheriff Wade Parent begins a hunting of the vehicle that is threatening his town and seems to be impossible to be located. When his beloved girlfriend and teacher Lauren challenges the driver in a cemetery, the car hunts her in her home and Wade realizes that he might be dealing with supernatural powers.
There's nowhere to run, nowhere to hide, no way to stop... THE CAR
Also Known As:
Title: Car, The
Release Date: May 13, 1977
Runtime: 96 mins
All Genres: Horror, Mystery, Thriller
Sound: Mono, 4-Track Stereo
IMDB Rating: 5.3
Buried.com Rating: 6.3 - (Rate This Horror Movie at Buried.com)
Category: Horror Movies Starting With C
MPAA Rating: PG
James Brolin ...Wade Parent
Kathleen Lloyd ...Lauren
John Marley ...Everett
R.G. Armstrong ...Amos Clements
John Rubinstein ...John Morris
Elizabeth Thompson ...Margie
Roy Jenson ...Ray Mott
Kim Richards ...Lynn Marie
Kyle Richards ...Debbie
Kate Murtagh ...Miss McDonald
Robert Phillips ...Metcalf
Doris Dowling ...Bertha
Henry O'Brien ...Chas
Eddie Little Sky ...Denson
Lee McLaughlin ...Marvin Fats
Margaret Willey ...Navajo Woman
Read Morgan ...Mac Gruder
Ernie F. Orsatti ...Dalton (as Ernie Orsatti)
Joshua Davis ...Jimmy
Geraldine Keams ...Donna
Hank Hamilton ...Al Ashberry
John Moio ...Parker
Melody Thomas Scott ...Suzie Pullbrook (as Melody Thomas)
Bob Woodlock ...Pete Keil
James Rawley ...Thompson
Louis Welch ...Berry
Bryan O'Byrne ...Wally
Don Keefer ...Dr. Pullbrook
Steve Gravers ...Mr. Mackey
Tony Brande ...Joe
» [more cast members]
"Peer Gynt Suite No.1, Op.46: I. 'Morning'"
More Movie Taglines:
- There's nowhere to run, nowhere to hide, no way to stop... THE CAR
- IS IT A PHANTOM, A DEMON, OR THE DEVIL HIMSELF?
- What EVIL drives... The Car
- Chas: I shouldn't have left her. Wade Parent: Nothing would have changed. He would have taken you out too. I talked to her... she called me when she got back here. She could hear the engine coming down the street. [choking back the tears] Wade Parent: She was so frightened. I don't know... I don't know. Luke: I know why he didn't go into the cemetery. [Wade turns to look at Luke] Luke: I know why. There's no other reason... the ground... was hallowed. [Wade gives Luke a skeptical glare] Luke: That's what I say... but you think about it. Everything that's happened... what it did to the guys, and how. [Wade turns and walks out of the house] Luke: Everybody else was killed on the street! Lauren was killed in the middle of her own living room! She was special... why? Because she cursed him, that's why! Wade Parent: I don't believe it, I don't accept it. Luke: Wade, that car flew into that house four feet off the ground. And how did he know where she lived? Wade Parent: Keep the road blocks up, get all the other guys. Get 'em down at the station right away.
Everett: [addressing his officers] So look... I want everybody out on the streets. I want you to remember... a young man was killed today, passing through our town... and I don't like it... I don't like it at all. Goodbye.
Wade Parent: Yeah... yeah, ten years of giving out traffic tickets, and all this in one day!
Donna: Wade... there's something I... I wanna tell you about last night. Well, the old lady... well, Chas, he didn't translate everything that she said. Wade Parent: What do you mean? Donna: Well, uh... she said... there was no driver in the car.
Chas: [to Lauren, as they drive past his mobile home] Just checkin' the tipi.
- There were six Cars built for filming by Barris Kustoms in North Hollywood, California: one main car of steel and five fiberglass replicas. Three replicas were destroyed in the climactic explosion scene and the other two replicas were wrecked in rollovers. The gloss-black main Car is a custom Lincoln Mark III with a locked 4.11 differential (to allow easier spinning), a 460 cubic-inch V8 engine, heavy-duty suspension, roll bar, safety harness, and amber-tinted glass. The top is lowered and the beltline raised. Twelve craftsmen built the main Car in six weeks.
According to a 1977 interview with James Brolin, the working title of the film was "Wheels".
The song Wade is singing before brushing his teeth is "Muleskinner Blues" by Jimmie Rodgers and George Vaughn.
Car cost $84,000.00 to build.
This film is listed among The 100 Most Enjoyably Bad Movies Ever Made in Golden Raspberry Award founder John Wilson's book THE OFFICIAL RAZZIEŽ MOVIE GUIDE.
» User Comments at imdb.com
» More information at imdb.com
Sheriff, Small Town, Hit And Run, Supernatural, Desert ...[more]
Rating: 6.3 out of 10.0 - 61 votes cast total