Horror Movies & Sci-Fi Movies Database
Eccentric scientist Dr.Daniel and his shy, clumsy assistant Max, lead a quiet life on their space station where they carry out illegal research into androids, until they receive an unwelcome visit from three fugitives from justice, one of whom is female. Dr.Daniel and Max are both interested in her, but one of them has rather more sinister intentions than just romance...
On a remote space laboratory, Android Model MAX 404 has learnt how to live...and learnt how to kill!
Release Date: October , 1982
Runtime: 80 mins
All Genres: Sci-Fi
IMDB Rating: 5.8
Buried.com Rating: 6.8 - (Rate This Horror Movie at Buried.com)
Category: Horror Movies Starting With A
MPAA Rating: PG
Klaus Kinski ...Dr. Daniel
Brie Howard ...Maggie
Norbert Weisser ...Keller
Crofton Hardester ...Mendes
Kendra Kirchner ...Cassandra
Gary Corarito ...Terrapol: Neptune
Mary Ann Fisher ...Terrapol: Neptune
Darrell Larson ...Terrapol: Neptune
Ian Scheibel ...Terrapol: Neptune
Wayne Springfield ...Terrapol: Minos
Julia Gibson ...Terrapol: Minos
Randy Connor ...Terrapol: Landing Party
Roger Kelton ...Terrapol: Landing Party
Rachel Talalay ...Terrapol: Landing Party
Johanne Todd ...Terrapol: Landing Party
Don Keith Opper ...Max 404
Mary Ann Fisher
Don Keith Opper
"Searchin' For My Love"
"It's A Man's, Man's, Man's World"
More Movie Taglines:
- On a remote space laboratory, Android Model MAX 404 has learnt how to live...and learnt how to kill!
- GRIPPING ACTION, FUTURISTIC EFFECTS, Voted Best Science Fiction Film 1983, by The Age. [Video Australia]
- Meet Max 404. He's a little over five years old. He just met his first woman. It's time to get down to Earth.
- [first lines] [Max is listening to Huey Lewis while playing with miniature robots and watching a screen showing the very basics of humans kissing and making love] Dr. Daniel: [over the intercom] Max. [Max switches from the video to the scanners] Dr. Daniel: Max? Max 404: Yes, Dr. Daniel? Dr. Daniel: Max, what is that noise? [Max turns off the music] Max 404: I was doing some research, Sir. Dr. Daniel: On what? Max 404: [sounding a bit panicky] Earth. The twentieth century. Dr. Daniel: Have you logged in, Max? Max 404: Uh... no... but, I was... Dr. Daniel: Then do it now, Max, and make sure we have shut down for the night. Max 404: Yes, Sir. Dr. Daniel: I don't want to be disturbed. Max 404: Good night, Dr. Daniel. Dr. Daniel: Good night, Max. Max 404: Oh, and Doctor? ["Blip" sound. No answer. Max sighs before logging in] Max 404: Fifteen October, 2036, 0100 hour log-in. As usual... there's nothing to report. Radar reveals a Hermes CP-247... passing... as usual. And that's it. Max 404: [dispiritedly] This is Max, signing out.
[after being shocked by eavesdropping on Dr. Daniel and hearing that the "Cassandra Project" is being shut down, Max is shocked again when he is unexpectedly contacted by an approaching spaceship] Maggie: Mayday, Mayday! This is SERP Neptune 425946. Do you read me? This is SERP Neptune 425946. Do you read me? Over! Max 404: [in wonder] That's a woman's voice! Maggie: Mayday! We have a Mayday! This is SERP Neptune 425946. Do you read me? Over! Max 404: [transmitting] This is, uh, UL-C53 Station to SERP Neptune, I- I- I read you. What is your Mayday? Over. Maggie: We have sustained engine damage. Request permission to dock for repairs. Over. Max 404: [stunned] Dock? Maggie: Do you read, UL-C53? Request permission to dock. Imperative! Over! [Max is indecisive over whether to disturb Dr. Daniel] Max 404: [transmitting] UL-C53 to SERP Neptune: Permission granted! Direct to pad coordinates Manx Terra Odin Godfrey Two. Do you read me? Over. [Max waits anxiously for a response] Maggie: [transmitting] Do you read coordinates? Over! Maggie: Yes, yes, I read you. Acknowledge for approaching Manx Terra Odin Godfrey Two. Do you read? Over. Max 404: [transmitting] Yes, correct! This is fantastic! Maggie: [to herself] "Fantastic"?
[after a fight against the authorities who wanted them dead, Maggie, Mendes, and Keller are all alive, but furious at each other] Mendes: Where the hell did *you* go? Keller: Back off, Mendes. I took my man out! Mendes: Yeah, and left me with two more! Maggie: [backing up Keller, and lying, because she was the one who killed the guy] Yeah, and he also took out the squid on the floor! [Keller and Maggie exchange looks] Mendes: [lets go of Keller, but still sneering] Big hero. Maggie: The show's over!
Maggie: [indicating forward view scanner] Take a look at this. Mendes: What is that? [UL-C53 Station is displayed] Maggie: First stop. Better think up an alias, Mendes. Let's lose the bodies. Keller: Right. [Keller runs off the bridge to dispose of the police whom they've killed]
[Max welcomes the fugitives in from their spaceship] Max 404: Well, why don't I show you where you'll be staying? [He leads them into a hall, and a siren goes off. Max turns it off] Max 404: I *hate* that alarm. [He turns to see that the three fugitives are pointing blasters at him] Max 404: [unfazed and conciliatory] No, that just means you're carrying weapons. There are no weapons allowed beyond this point. Maggie, the Doctor has *amazingly* strict rules about this.
- Whenever he is shown walking, Max 404 keeps his arms bent at a level that imitates C-3PO in Star Wars (1977).
After auditioning many actresses for the part of Maggie, director Aaron Lipstadt met Brie Howard (aka Brie Howard-Darling) at a party. At the time she was a drummer in an all-girl band, but he liked her looks and asked her to try out for the role.
The pneumatic air-hiss of the doors opening and closing was created by the sound effects editor, who aimed a can of compressed air into a five-gallon plastic water jug. He would pull the tube of the air nozzle out of the jug while pressing the button, which produced the doors' sound.
The film was shot in 20 days in June, 1982: nineteen days at the set in Venice, and one day on location at the Los Angeles Arboretum.
The characters' full names, shown on their mug shots, are Gunther Keller, Orlando Mendes, and Margaret Kallisti.
» User Comments at imdb.com
» More information at imdb.com
Android, Fugitive, Human Android Relationship, Innocent, Female Nudity ...[more]
Rating: 6.8 out of 10.0 - 70 votes cast total