The Absentminded Professor (1961)
Horror Movies & Sci-Fi Movies Database
A bumbling professor accidently invents flying rubber, or "Flubber", an incredible material that gains energy every time it strikes a hard surface. It allows for the invention of shoes that can allow jumps of amazing heights and enables a modified Model-T to fly. Unfortunately, no one is interested in the material except for Alonzo Hawk, a corrupt businessman who wants to steal the material for himself.
The funniest discovery since laughter!! [1976 re-release UK]
Title: Absentminded Professor, The
Release Date: March 16, 1961
Runtime: 92 mins
All Genres: Comedy, Family, Sci-Fi, Sport
Colors: Black and White
IMDB Rating: 6.7
Buried.com Rating: 7.7 - (Rate This Horror Movie at Buried.com)
Category: Horror Movies Starting With A
MPAA Rating: G
Fred MacMurray ...Prof. Ned Brainard
Nancy Olson ...Betsy Carlisle
Keenan Wynn ...Alonzo P. Hawk
Tommy Kirk ...Biff Hawk
Leon Ames ...President Rufus Daggett
Elliott Reid ...Prof. Shelby Ashton
Edward Andrews ...Defense Secretary
David Lewis ...Gen. Singer
Jack Mullaney ...Air Force Captain
Belle Montrose ...Mrs. Chatsworth
Wally Brown ...Coach Elkins
Wally Boag ...TV Newsman
Don Ross ...Lenny
Forrest Lewis ...Officer Kelley
James Westerfield ...Officer Hanson
Alan Carney ...First Referee
Charlie Briggs ...Sig
Gage Clarke ...Rev. Bosworth
Alan Hewitt ...Gen. Hotchkiss
Raymond Bailey ...Adm. Olmstead
Wendell Holmes ...General Poynter
Leon Tyler ...Basketball Player (#18)
Ed Wynn ...Fire Chief
Carroll Adams ...Basketball Player
Bill Baldwin ...News Reporter
Paul E. Burns ...Taxi Driver
Robert Burton ...Sam Wheeler
Ralph Clanton ...O.J. Turnbull
Gary Clarke ...Boy at dance
Don Dillaway ...Defense Department Secretary
» [more cast members]
Samuel W. Taylor
More Movie Taglines:
- The funniest discovery since laughter!! [1976 re-release UK]
- This is the cause of it all!...Flubber...The sensational secret discovery of that Shaggy Dog man...That has all the properties of hilarity and zany comedy!
- THIS UNIDENTIFIED FLYING OBJECT THREW A PENTAGON INTO A PANIC! (original print ad
- all caps)
- It's all about a wacky prof who invents an anti-gravity goo that flew!
- Prof. Ned Brainard: Let's see, flying rubber... Flubber!
Prof. Ned Brainard: Corners beautifully, doesn't it?
Prof. Ned Brainard: I'm an American! See it? My credit cards!
First Referee: There's nothing in the rule book that says one team can't jump higher than the other.
Biff Hawk: Oh, it's just Neddy the Nut out flying his old Model T.
- At the height of the film's popularity, Time Magazine printed the Disney Special Effects Department's recipe for Flubber, as used in the movie. It read as follows: "To one pound of salt water taffy add one heaping tablespoon polyurethane foam, one cake crumbled yeast. Mix till smooth, allow to rise. Then pour into saucepan over one cup cracked rice with one cup water. Add topping of molasses. Boil till lid lifts and says 'Qurlp'." It is not recorded whether this also carried the standard warning "do not try this at home".
Three generations of the Wynn family act in this film: Ed Wynn; his son Keenan Wynn; and Keenan Wynn's son, Ned Wynn.
The song "Medfield Fight Song" was written by Richard M. Sherman and Robert B. Sherman, the first of many they would write for Disney.
» User Comments at imdb.com
» More information at imdb.com
Professor, Invention, Shoes, Car, Antigravity ...[more]
Rating: 7.7 out of 10.0 - 50 votes cast total