Horror Movies & Sci-Fi Movies Database
Driving someone else's car from Chicago to San Diego, a young man named Jim Halsey picks up a hitchhiker with a taste for murder. The police, unaware of the real murderer (i.e. the John Ryder), blame Jim. Ryder shows super human powers in his destructive spree.
The terror starts the moment he stops.
Title: Hitcher, The
Release Date: February 21, 1986
Runtime: 97 mins
All Genres: Action, Crime, Drama, Horror, Mystery, Thriller
IMDB Rating: 7.2
Buried.com Rating: 8.2 - (Rate This Horror Movie at Buried.com)
Category: Horror Movies Starting With H
MPAA Rating: R
Rutger Hauer ...John Ryder
C. Thomas Howell ...Jim Halsey
Jennifer Jason Leigh ...Nash
Jeffrey DeMunn ...Captain Esteridge
John M. Jackson ...Sergeant Starr (as John Jackson)
Billy Green Bush ...Trooper Donner (as Billy Greenbush)
Jack Thibeau ...Trooper Prestone
Armin Shimerman ...Interrogation Sergeant
Gene Davis ...Trooper Dodge (as Eugene Davis)
Jon Van Ness ...Trooper Hapscomb
Henry Darrow ...Trooper Hancock
Tony Epper ...Trooper Conners
Tom Spratley ...Proprietor
Colin Campbell ...Construction Man
Garth Shaw ...Photographer
Edward S. Feldman
Charles R. Meeker
"DON'T STOP LOVIN' ME"
More Movie Taglines:
- The terror starts the moment he stops.
- Never Pick Up A Stranger.
- Whatever you do, don't stop for The Hitcher
- The terror starts when he stops!
- He came from hell. Don't ask him where he wants to go.
- Out on the desert highway, the rule of thumb has a different meaning...
- Interrogation Sergeant: What's your name? Come on. What's your name? Do you have a name? Do you have a police record? Where are you from? John Ryder: Disneyland.
[Picking up the hitchhiker] Jim Halsey: My mother told me to never do this.
Jim Halsey: Do I look like a killer to you?
Nash: Actually we're all from Mars around here, we keep our spaceship out back. So... what planet are you from?
Nash: Why didn't he kill us? Jim Halsey: Let's go. Nash: Why didn't he kill us? [pause] Jim Halsey: Let's go.
- Eric Red, (writer), said that the film was inspired by the Doors song, "Riders on the Storm".
C. Thomas Howell admitted that he was actually afraid of Rutger Hauer on and off the set because of the actor's general intensity.
Sam Elliott and Terence Stamp were offered the role of John Ryder.
The truck at the end of the film is a Dodge Ramcharger.
The shotgun that the hitcher takes from the cops at the climax of the film is a spas-12 automatic tactical combat shotgun.
» User Comments at imdb.com
» More information at imdb.com
Murder, Police, Framed, Serial Killer, Truck Stop ...[more]
Rating: 8.2 out of 10.0 - 60 votes cast total