The Magnetic Monster (1953)
Horror Movies & Sci-Fi Movies Database
Working for O.S.I., the Office of Scientific Investigation, A-Man agent Jeffrey Stewart and his partner Dan Forbes are sent to a local hardware store where they find a strong magnetic field has magnetized every metal item in the store. Investigating further, they eventually trace the source of the magnetism to an airborn flight carrying scientist Howard Denker, now dying of radiation poisoning, who has carted on board with him a new radioactive element which he has bombarded with alpha particles for 200 hours. The element, dubbed 'serranium' grows geometrically by creating matter out of energy which it absorbs from metallic objects surrounding it. Stewart calculates that if the substance is not destroyed soon that within 24 hours or so it will have grown large enough to throw Earth out of its orbit.
the thing that came alive [Australian Theatrical]
Title: Magnetic Monster, The
Release Date: February 18, 1953
Runtime: 76 mins
All Genres: Sci-Fi
Colors: Black and White
IMDB Rating: 5.7
Buried.com Rating: 6.7 - (Rate This Horror Movie at Buried.com)
Category: Horror Movies Starting With M
MPAA Rating: Approved
Herbert L. Strock
Richard Carlson ...Dr. Jeffrey Stewart
King Donovan ...Dr. Dan Forbes
Jean Byron ...Connie Stewart
Harry Ellerbe ...Dr. Allard
Leo Britt ...Dr. Benton
Leonard Mudie ...Howard Denker
Byron Foulger ...Mr. Simon
Michael Fox ...Dr. Serny
John Zaremba ...Chief Watson
Lee Phelps ...City Engineer
Watson Downs ...Mayor
Roy Engel ...General Behan (as Roy Engle)
Frank Gerstle ...Colonel Willis
John Vosper ...Captain Dyer
John Dodsworth ...Dr. Carthwright
Charles Williams ...Cabbie (as Charlie Williams)
Michael Granger ...Kenneth Smith
William 'Billy' Benedict ...Albert (as Bill Benedict)
Kathleen Freeman ...Nelly
Douglas Evans ...Pilot
Strother Martin ...Co-Pilot
Jarma Lewis ...Stewardess
Elizabeth Root ...Joy
Juney Ellis ...Spinster
George Van Marter
More Movie Taglines:
- the thing that came alive [Australian Theatrical]
- This one man stands between the earth and DOOM!
- See: terror sweep through the heart of a city in the dead of night!
- Terror swoops through the heart of a city in the dead of night!
- Monstrous Frankenstein Terrorizes Earth!
- See The Only Man That Dared To Track The Monster To Its Lair!
- Cosmic frankenstein terrorizes earth!
- The astounding story of the "thing" that came alive!
- Howard Denker: It's hungry! It has to be fed constantly - or it will reach out its magnetic arm and grab at anything within its reach and kill it. It's monstrous, Stewart, monstrous. It grows bigger and bigger!
- Uses stock footage of the underground magneto-dynamo from the German science fiction thriller Gold (1934).
Although credited to Curt Siodmak, most of the film was actually directed by Herbert L. Strock, who was hired by Ivan Tors for his skills as an editor, which were viewed as essential for a film which relied so much on stock footage.
» User Comments at imdb.com
» More information at imdb.com
Office Of Scientific Investigation, Radiation Sickness, Jet Plane, Experiment Gone Wrong, Stock Footage ...[more]
Rating: 6.7 out of 10.0 - 60 votes cast total