Horror Movies & Sci-Fi Movies Database
In 1895, a team of archaeologists uncover the tomb of Princess Ananka, an Egyptian high priestess. They are warned not to disturb the tomb but in doing so, inadvertently bring to life the mummy of Kharis, the high priest who loved the Princess. While in the tomb alone, something happens to frighten the leader of the expedition, Stephen Banning. Three years later an Egyptian, Mehemet Bey, transports the mummy to England to seek revenge against those who desecrated the Princess' tomb. It is left to Stephen Banning's son John to unravel the mystery and to protect his wife Isobel, who bears a striking resemblance to the Princess.
Torn from the tomb to terrify the world!
Title: Mummy, The
Release Date: December 16, 1959
Runtime: 88 mins
All Genres: Horror
IMDB Rating: 6.8
Buried.com Rating: 7.8 - (Rate This Horror Movie at Buried.com)
Category: Horror Movies Starting With M
MPAA Rating: Unrated
Peter Cushing ...John Banning
Christopher Lee ...Kharis, the Mummy
yvonne Furneaux ...Isobel Banning / Princess Ananka
Eddie Byrne ...Inspector Mulrooney
Felix Aylmer ...Stephen Banning
Raymond Huntley ...Joseph Whemple
George Pastell ...Mehemet Bey, Alias Mehemet Akir
Michael Ripper ...Poacher
George Woodbridge ...Police Constable
Harold Goodwin ...Pat
Denis Shaw ...Mike
Gerald Lawson ...Irish Customer
Willoughby Gray ...Dr. Reilly
John Stuart ...Coroner
David Browning ...Police Sergeant
Frank Sieman ...Bill at the Red Lion
Stanley Meadows ...James, Engerfield Attendant
Frank Singuineau ...Head Porter
James Clarke ...Priest
John Harrison ...Priest
Frederick Rawlings ...
Anthony Nelson Keys
More Movie Taglines:
- Torn from the tomb to terrify the world!
- ALL NEW! IN TERRIFYING TECHNICOLOR (original U.S. print ad
- all caps)
- NERVE-SHATTERING SHOCK! (original U.S. print ad
- all caps)
- Fear Will Freeze You When You Face ...
- Its evil look brings MADNESS! Its evil spell ENSLAVES! Its evil touch KILLS KILLS KILLS!
- Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee star as an ancient evil is unleashed on the world.
- Poacher: I've seen the likes tonight that mortal eyes shouldn't look at. Irish Customer: You've been around to Molly Grady's again.
John Banning: Seems I've spent the better part of my life amongst the dead
- A door that Christopher Lee must crash through was accidentally bolted by a grip before the scene is shot. Lee's shoulder was dislocated when he broke down the door, but the shot remains in the movie.
Hammer Films had already done remakes of The Curse of Frankenstein (1957) and Dracula (1958). This was the first film made after Hammer reached an official agreement with Universal (then Universal International) allowing them to do remakes of their classic horror films. In this film, for example, the agreement with Universal allowed them to use the name "Kharis".
Christopher Lee's mummy walk isn't entirely acting. Besides the injuries to his back and shoulder noted above, he also injured his knees and shins while doing scenes in the studio-tank "swamp" - he couldn't see where the various pipes and fittings under the swampy water were.
The squibs used when Peter Cushing shot Christopher Lee left burn marks for weeks. Lee also threw his back out carrying the girl.
» User Comments at imdb.com
» More information at imdb.com
Tomb, Mummy, Revenge, Swamp, Remake ...[more]
Rating: 7.8 out of 10.0 - 75 votes cast total